top of page

Sepsis & Septic Shock

Public·385 members

Vitamin C for Patients With COVID-19



The LOVIT-COVID trial and the vitamin C section of the REMAP-CAP trial were synchronized to enhance the efficiency of the research. They included 1568 critically ill patients (1037 on vitamin C and 531 in the control group) and 1022 non-critically ill patients (456 on vitamin C and 566 in the control group). Patients were given 50 mg/kg of vitamin C through an IV every 6 hours for a maximum of 96 hours. While both trials were planned together, LOVIT-COVID used a placebo, whereas REMAP-CAP compared vitamin C to standard care. The study was halted once set criteria for potential harm and lack of effectiveness were reached. Among the critically ill patients, those on vitamin C had a median of 7 days without organ support, compared to 10 days in the control group, with an 8.6% probability of effectiveness, 91.4% of potential harm, and 99.9% of being ineffective. 61.9% of the vitamin C group survived until they were discharged from the hospital, compared to 64.6% in the control group. For the non-critically ill group, the likelihood of the treatment being effective was 17.8%.


Based on the LOVIT-COVID and REMAP-CAP, are you convinced that vit c is not helpful and may be harmful?

  • 0%Yes

  • 0%No

  • 0%Need more data



Vitamin C for Patients With COVID-19: More Evidence of Lack of Efficacy in Patients With Sepsis | Pulmonary Medicine | JAMA | JAMA Network

I A
bottom of page